Home » Parenting » Control Issues & My Mother

Control Issues & My Mother

Asking for my Mother. She is trusting less and controlling more. She will now not mail any checks through USPS, instead she or (we) drive 85 miles -one way- to deposit them in the bank, because the mail may lose them. Lots of pet peeve issues (such is life) but, this just seems extreme to me, and there is no talking about it or she does it alone.

Control Issues & My Mother

A.

You should be concerned. Her behavior seems extreme and irrational. There’s no legitimate reason to distrust the United States Postal Service.

There are many paranoid people in this country. Studies have estimated that approximately 10% of the population experiences paranoia. Do a search on YouTube for the keyword “false flag” or “gang stalkers” and you’ll quickly get a sense of how many people believe in conspiracy theories. The vast majority are illegitimate and would suggest mental illness. Your mother might have a mental illness but I don’t have enough information to make that determination.

You didn’t mention her age but it might be a consideration. Elderly persons can be impacted by dementia or other organic brain conditions. Disorders such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s can cause paranoia and delusions. Ideally, she should be evaluated by a physician to determine if something is wrong. If she’s paranoid, she might not be willing to undergo an examination but it’s worth a try.

If she’s unwilling to seek help, try to gather more information about her symptoms and consult a mental health professional. The more information you can gather about her mental and physical state, the better able a mental health professional can assist you. It’s important to try to help her any way you can. Please take care.

Control Issues & My Mother