Home » Ask the Therapist » Feeling Lost

Feeling Lost

From the U.S.: I am 25 years old and am feeling lost. I have a creative brain and am drawn to the arts but I have a hard time being “creative” I feel like everything has been done already and everyone that I know is on a path to success.There is nothing about me that stands out as an artist, and I feel like I just don’t offer anyone anything. I went to film school and graduate with a film degree and I still don’t know what I want to do with it. There was nothing in school that really stood out to me as far as something in the film industry that I excelled in.

I think a lot of what holds me back is my ADD. I feel like I am not living as full a life as I should because my ADD holds me back. I just can’t begin to figure out what direction I want to go in life, or what my passions are or what steps I should be taking. I feel like I am alone and don’t have anyone who can give me an answer on how to make sense of my life and help steer me in the right direction. I feel that my ADD does not allow me to think past my own brain capacity and help myself.

Feeling Lost

A.

I think it’s safe for me to say that your ADD isn’t your problem. In fact, most of the creative people I know say they have ADD. Those who are successful have found ways to make it work for them. They have developed ways to work around it when they have to meet deadlines but, generally, they enjoy the creativity, spontaneity and multi-faceted thinking that comes with it.

I think your problem is your reluctance to pick something and run with it. You won’t know what will ignite your passions until you get involved. Clearly there is something about film and the arts that hooks your interest enough that you went to school for it. Trust that for now. Don’t worry about excelling. Just get some experience.

If you don’t know how to manage the ADD, see a mental health counselor for some help with it. There are practical ways around it so it can be a plus in your life instead of a problem.

Feeling Lost