Home » Murderous Thoughts

Murderous Thoughts

Hello, I am 12 years old and I constantly think of killing/hurting someone. I’m looking for help because I believe this case is at its worst – considering I enjoy and sometimes smile at the thoughts. I believe I have multiple other issues, but this is by far the one I consider worst.

Murderous Thoughts

A.

I am glad that you wrote. You are right to be concerned. More than anything, your feelings indicate that you are suffering and could benefit from mental health treatment.

They are also not uncommon and can develop as the result of feeling helpless, out-of-control, overwhelmed or unhappy. For example, if someone is being abused, they may have these thoughts about the person or people causing them harm or distress. Murderous thoughts can evoke an intense feeling of psychological power; in some ways they are an attempt to gain control over unpleasant feelings or an unfair situation.

You should discuss your concerns with your parents. Ask them to facilitate your seeking mental health treatment.

If that doesn’t work, then ask another trusted adult for help. This can include a relative, a member of the clergy, a faculty member or the school guidance counselor. With counseling, you can learn healthy ways to manage your strong feelings. Please take care.

Murderous Thoughts