Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » Family Excluded

Family Excluded

My Dad and his wife had all their kids (spouses and grandchildren) to their vacation home for the holiday. My family was not invited. This is NOT the first time this has happened. They have all been there many times. We have never been invited. My sister was married on this island 4 years ago and he didn’t even invite us over then (we were on the island for the wedding).

My hubby thinks I shouldn’t get so upset because it will make me bitter. I don’t think he knows what it feels like to be excluded, not once but many times. While they will invite us to things in our hometown, we never feel as included as the rest of them. It’s obvious my Dad’s wife isn’t my biggest fan, but she is nice to my face. Honestly, I’m not her biggest fan either, but we go to everything because our 3 kids adore their extended family and want to see them.

Yes, I’m an adult with my own family that loves me, but I still feel so hurt that they do this to me year after year. Can I really just blow it off and smile when I see them? Yes, I have asked my Dad about it. He doesn’t have an explanation. He’s been married to her for 18 years.

Should I get some therapy to get over this hurt? I really struggle with it every time. My Dad doesn’t show his love in any normal ways, either, so that makes this especially difficult.

Thanks

Family Excluded

A.

It is time to grieve your experience with your father and step mother and move on. Therapy can be very helpful in grieving the loss. If you have already tried to reach your father and explain your pain of being excluded, then therapy will be the best way to move forward.

Family Excluded