Home » Daughter with Anger and Crying Problems

Daughter with Anger and Crying Problems

I dont know if anything I’ve seen is relevant, so im writing here. My 10 year old daughter has an anger management problem. It’s been happening for a while, before her body could go  through any changes. I dont know whats causing it, but it seems serious. She screams alot and hurts people whenever she has a breakdown. I’ve tried to talk to her, but she doesn’t like to open up.  She also cries over things most people don’t, like if somethings missing and she cant find it she’ll get really stressed.  And sometimes i find her talking to herself or an imaginary person.  I dont know whats happening, but it’s been going on for a while. Ideas? (age 42, from US)

Daughter with Anger and Crying Problems

A.

Without evaluating her directly it is difficult to know how serious your daughter’s troubles are, but it seems like she is experiencing stress and has trouble managing her feelings in a healthy manner. I think you are right to be concerned. I have seen many kids begin to experience some of the mood changes we expect to see in teens much earlier these days, so there could be a hormonal component. However, it could also be that she experiences intense emotion and just hasn’t developed the skills to mange her internal state. It’s also not a good sign that she hurts others when she is upset.

No matter what the cause, the important thing is to get her professional help now. Early intervention is key. I would suggest speaking to your pediatrician about it as well as a child psychologist. There may be a legitimate clinical issue at hand, but no matter what, she could benefit from emotional regulation and behavioral management skills.

Daughter with Anger and Crying Problems