Home » Scared When I Am Alone

Scared When I Am Alone

Typically when I am alone, I always feel like I’m being watched, seeing things that aren’t real, about to be attacked, or about to be killed. These feelings all seem like they could either happen from a real person or from some sort of nonliving being, which the nonliving being is the more common of the two. It makes me feel discomforted, scared, and/or sick in my own home, car, or outside (for example: taking my dog for a walk). I feel this way all day and night, but usually more at night because of my like of vision. Because of this, I typically lose a lot of sleep and don’t know what would even happen if something like a nonliving being were to appear in my house, but I am in constant fear of any of these things being able to occur to me.

Scared When I Am Alone

A.

It would have been helpful to have had more information about what precipitated your symptoms. Did you experience any life changes such as marriage, divorce, giving birth, moving, a car accident, or a death in the family? What about drug use? Life stressors or drug use can sometimes trigger symptoms like the ones you have described.

Your lack of sleep is likely making your symptoms worse. If this remains a problem, then seek help from a mental health professional. Medication and counseling could be very helpful for your symptoms. The sooner you seek help, the sooner this problem can be resolved.

You can start the process of acquiring professional help by asking your primary care physician for a referral. There likely are mental health professionals in your community. You want to choose the one with whom you feel the strongest connection. Report your symptoms and ask for their help. Your symptoms are highly treatable. Please take care.

Scared When I Am Alone