Home » I’m Not in My Body

I’m Not in My Body

When I was 15, after a suicide attempt, I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. I’m 20 now and after another suicide attempt, they diagnosed me with bipolar. I’m confused. I rarely have any symptoms of bipolar. All of my symptoms and signs point to BPD. For instance, my husband and I lost our jobs and anytime I come into contact with money, I blow it. I can’t stop flirting with other people either. And sometimes I check out of my body. I don’t remember what I do. That’s really been scaring me lately. I checked so far out I wasn’t recognizing anything. I feel like a passenger rather than the driver. My temper has been getting shorter. I feel very trapped and I’m panicking. I don’t know what to do.

I’m Not in My Body

A.

I can appreciate that different diagnoses can be confusing and unsettling. The only reason a diagnosis is ever helpful is if it leads to a way of understanding symptoms, which then leads to a way of understanding and treating the symptoms. I wouldn’t get too hung up on the label. I’d focus more on what opportunities for healing may come from looking at your pain through that lens. The diagnosis is only important if it helps. I would ask what the medical and psychological treatments are and see if they make sense to try.

I’m Not in My Body