Home » Ask the Therapist » How Do I Stop Projecting Myself onto Others?

How Do I Stop Projecting Myself onto Others?

From Germany: I am male/32/IT professional, Bipolar 2. When i talk to someone, i project myself on other person and give long, explanatory answers.

In interview, when HR asks me questions regarding my personality, i get excited and i talk a lot necessarily. I make cheap humor and can not differentiate between situation like with friends, professionals etc…

My question is how to stop projecting own self and become silent.
Thanks!!

A.

What you are describing is difficulty with social skills. John Elder Robison wrote a book called Be Different. In it, he talks about the many ways he has learned to work around his Aspergers diagnosis.

I’m not suggesting you have Aspergers. I don’t have enough information to even guess if that may be part of the difficulty. What I am suggesting is that you have some things to learn from Robison. He too had to work on social skills. He created his own self-improvement tasks, worked at them, and is now a very successful businessman. His story is both inspiring and practical. I encourage you to take a look at that book.

You would also benefit from some therapy. A therapist can help you identify areas you need to work on and develop strategies for handling those areas. In addition, a therapist will provide you with ongoing encouragement and support.

You are motivated and smart. If you commit to a self-improvement project, there is every reason to believe you will be successful.