Home » Depression » Is There Anything I Can Do for My Boyfriend Who Has Depression?

Is There Anything I Can Do for My Boyfriend Who Has Depression?

I’ve been dating with my boyfriend for few months. I recently found out that he is struggling with depression and he wants me to leave him so I don’t get hurt from it. I sincerely love him and I would like to help him in every way possible but he refuses to open about his feeling to anyone even to his own therapist.

When I’m with him in person, giving hugs, showing him that I’m always there for him, he gets better temporarily but after a while, he shows his break up line again. Currently, he is in different country and he talks about breaking up more often than usual, which frustrates me so much. Since he asked me for some personal space, I made sure he has some, but he still says that his life is unhappy.

Is there anything I can do? Please help me.

A.

As hard as it may be to accept your boyfriend has told you three things by him wanting you to leave. First, he is telling you that he isn’t going to change. This is important. If he doesn’t believe he can change, then I would accept that as the truth.

Secondly, he is telling you that he isn’t going to be the one to end it. If you continue to stay he will not have the wherewithal to leave — you’ll have to do it. Finally, he is telling you that if you do stay he will be waiting for you to leave.

None of these things bode well for a future relationship together. Since it is early on in your dating I would accept that he isn’t ready to be a full partner in an intimate relationship.