Home » Ask the Therapist » I Can’t Talk or It Is Very Dificult to Do So

I Can’t Talk or It Is Very Dificult to Do So

From Mexico: I cant talk right, not even when Im alone. When I talk my voice sounds like if i were starting to cry or if i was nervous and it feels like im about to cry i feel this pressure in my throat and i feel very nervous sometimes my hands sweat and shake. 2 weeks before my period ive noticed this gets worse, stress and anxiety worsens it as well.

I have to deal with this 24/7 it doesnt matter who i talk to or if im alone the problem is always there This is very seriouse to me because i feel depressed i feel like harming myself (but i never have) its just that it has affected my entire life i dont want to keep living like this

i cant even talk on the phone im afraid people will notice and some have and they were very mean about it I just want to know what to do to BE NORMAL and live a happy life I noticed this problem when I was 13 or 14. Im 23 now PLEASE HELP I dont know if this is psychological or somethings wrong with my brain

ive took tests and my vocal chords are fine. i feel like i cant control my breathing and maybe thats my problem but i really dont know for sure COULD YOU TELL ME WHAT SPECIALIST OR DOCTOR I SHOULD See

… another thing ive noticed is that I start talking and all of a sudden it starts to be very dificult and i get to a point where i just dont say anything because i make funny noises when i try and when the teachers call my name i cant say “present” This is pretty much a summary of what i feel and deal with

A.

I’m so, so sorry this has gone on for so long. I’m very glad you are looking at medical reasons for the problem. From what you report, I agree that is the first step. It seems that the problems with your voice are making you anxious, not that anxiety is making it hard for you to speak.

If you haven’t already, you need to see a Otolaryngologist (ENT). Otolaryngologists diagnose and manage diseases of the ears, nose, sinuses, larynx (voice box), mouth, and throat, as well as structures of the neck and face. Do some research and ask your doctor for a referral to the best ENT you can find. Since symptoms get worse at a predictable time in your cycle, you might also benefit from seeing an Endocrinologist. Ideally, these specialists will collaborate.

See a psychologist if (and only if) the reports of a full work up by the medical specialists show that you are medically fine.