Home » I Don’t Like People

I Don’t Like People

From Dubai: Hello, I don’t like people a whole lot. I’m not scared of them, it’s just that I do not like nor value any form of human interaction, if it’s not with either my best friend, class mates or on stage.

That’s correct, I am not scared of groups of people, just don’t like them or care about them. You may have noticed too that my parents were not mentioned in the above list, and that’s because I do not like talking to them about any thing that might even slightly provoke them, and make them want to help me; I don’t like people trying to help me. I want them to tell me their problem with me, and I try to fix it if I find it genuine.

I don’t go out, not at all, not even with my best friend or class mates. I prefer text based conversations more, as I feel that is the only way even he can fully understand the extent of what what I’m trying to say.

I do not have Facebook or Instagram; my parents forbade me from using the two or in fact any other medium through which interaction may be plausible, however I do use Hangouts to talk to them and to anyone else who might need my particular help.

I’m sending this to you because my dad recently was furious about my lack of empathy towards people. I didn’t care much for his anger, I found his concern pointless as I do care for people, but very few. He seems to think that I’m only concerned with myself and my well being, which is true since I am someone of the belief that to help others you must first help themselves. I don’t care much for my dad’s opinion because he’s almost certainly going to shove his opinion on my life down my throat.

My main concerns in life revolve around my education, and intellectual growth and only 2 people come before it, and those people are not my mum and dad.

So I come to you with hopes that you’re able to tell me what’s ‘wrong’ with me and also guide me towards a solution.

I personally believe I ‘suffer’ from some sort of a personality disorder, something I think is not a whole lot important, but tell me anyway if it is that.

Thank you.

I Don’t Like People

A.

Considering how much you do not like to communicate I deeply appreciate the courage it took you to write us here at Psych Central. I would encourage you to learn more about your strengths rather than focus on what you are seeing as what’s “wrong” with you. Learning more about what you are good at is likely to be more helpful. Here is access to a free character strength survey that can help you identify and use your top strengths more readily.

You may also want to use our forums at Psych Central to hear how others are coping with similar issues.

I Don’t Like People