Home » What Is the Latest Treatment for BPD?

What Is the Latest Treatment for BPD?

From Scotland: Please give me your views on the latest treatment techniques for BPD, both talking therapies and pharmaceutical treatments. Are healing the inner child therapies as important as Dialectical Behavioural Therapy (DBT) and, given a choice, which type of therapy would you suggest should be embraced first?

What Is the Latest Treatment for BPD?

A.

Borderline Personality Disorder is, as the name states, a personality disorder. Personality disorders are characterized by an enduring, inflexible pattern of behaviors, attitudes, thoughts and feelings that are consistent across situations and over time. Such a pattern is markedly different from the norm of a person’s culture and usually causes significant distress and disturbance in functioning and relationships.

Although medication can help a person with BPD moderate emotional reaction, it can’t “cure” it. For that reason, the treatment of choice is usually a combination of medication and DBT.

I am by no means an expert in BPD but, as far as I know, DBT is the most well-researched, well-documented treatment for the disorder. I have referred many individuals to the local DBT program and have seen marked improvement in their ability to manage their emotions and to connect more positively and reliably with others.

Although you are in your 60s, if your letter is about yourself, I hope you will pursue treatment. It is never too late to make positive changes in our lives. If your letter is about someone you care about, I hope you will encourage her or him to get treatment. BPD can’t be cured, but it can be successfully managed.

What Is the Latest Treatment for BPD?