Home » Disorders » Sleep » I Need Help with Depression, Anxiety, Insomnia and Suicidal Thoughts

I Need Help with Depression, Anxiety, Insomnia and Suicidal Thoughts

For the past two years I’ve been going to a therapist and have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety and situational depression. Although it’s been going on since I was about eleven at least, that’s when I had my first major panic attack. I’ve tried a number of anti-depressants to treat my depression and anxiety, but they either didn’t work or the side affects were to severe. So now she put me on a “life style change”, where I am supposed to sleep more and exercise. I don’t know what to do anymore. My depression and anxiety have been so bad in the last six months I nearly throw up every morning from stress. I cannot seem to get out of bed, the very thought of facing the world every day makes me cry and debate my life. Furthermore, I cannot seem to sleep more than 4 hours, even with the melitonin my doctor prescribed me. My sleep deprivation has caused me to go into hysterics from crying and to laughing more than a few times. I’ve lost all interest in any activities I used to do in the past four years. I once danced, I quite that too now. I feel so emotionally disconnected from everyone. My family and friends notice it as well. Usually they’ll make fun of me or show real concern. Furthermore I wish I didn’t have the two friends I have. It’s stressful, I never do anything with them no matter how much they want me to. I feel like I’ll either be a bother or I just don’t want to do anything. I used to be an A grade student, I’d overload myself with advanced classes, now I’ve failed out of three of them. I just don’t see the point anymore. I hate myself. I cannot function in any social situation and now I can’t even seem to do any simple task anymore. Not to mention my weight changes, I’d go from binge eating to nearly starving myself because I just wasn’t hungry any more. It was so extreme for a few months, my weight got to a high of 135 pounds to a low of 117. In a week I lost ten pounds. Quite frankly I don’t know what to do, I’ve used support sites and they don’t seem to help. I feel like I’ve extended all my resources.

A.

Thank you for writing us. I admire the courage and persistence it takes to battle the symptoms you are having. As the sleep deprivation is likely to be a major contributor to undermining your progress, I would highly recommend a physical evaluation with a medical professional to supplement the therapy. Here is an article about how important sleep is in your overall well-being. A psychiatrist or general physician should be able to help.