Home » Ask the Therapist » Unhealed Wounds from Past Opening Up

Unhealed Wounds from Past Opening Up

I was sexually abused by my dad as a young girl, as were my sisters. I’ve gone to counseling over the years when a new layer has manifested. Sometimes an unhealed wound from that trauma will open up and though challenging, I’ll work through it and/or go to counseling for help to do so. Recently, a HUGE wound has opened and I’ve had constant feelings of fear, anxiety, inferiority, pain, wanting to hide…..this is a huge wound. The fear is especially exhausting to me and so real that I had what I believe is my first panic attack ever. obviously it’s time for more counseling. My questions:

Is this opening of past unhealed wounds common when as a child we weren’t equipped to work through deep challenges?

How can I function daily while working through this, it is exhausting me, especially emotionally and mentally to the max?

Unhealed Wounds from Past Opening Up

A.

Regarding your first question, you mentioned that new layers were manifesting. I’m not certain if you meant that you’re reliving memories or if new memories are being revealed. If it’s the former, you could be describing flashbacks associated with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

If it’s new memories, then the answer to your question would be, yes. One interpretation is that your unconscious mind represses traumatic events until you are psychologically ready to handle them. Consider repression as a form of protection. Generally speaking, children are less equipped to handle trauma than adults but even some adults struggle. This might sound counterintuitive, but your new memories could be a sign of your psychological growth.

Regarding your second question, you might consider medication. Certain anxiety medications can be taken on an as-needed basis. Group therapy might also be helpful because of the emotional support it can offer. Ask your therapist about these suggestions and in what other ways you can adjust while you are working through these issues in counseling. Please take care.

Unhealed Wounds from Past Opening Up