Home » Getting Off My Meds?

Getting Off My Meds?

Well I went to the atrium in middletown ohio for 3 days for schizoprenic symtoms left 3 days later with a prescription for this drug resperidol 4 millograms then taken down 2 millograms told the doctor wanted off the medication since he did not understand what caused me to have this episode never told him about the pressure of getting a job did it my father was going bankrupt he pushed me hard to find a job any job I did just that & nobody I do mean nobody called me so I didint know what to do or say so I guess he thought I was having mental issues cause the fustration I felt must had triggerd something that never before or after happend again so after the last visit to the doctor I quit using the medication to see if I was ok or not so far I font expierience anything remotely like they describe about schizoprenia well I get depressed but not suicidal or homicidal like the doctor always asks me that bothers me a lot to be asked that every time I see him I don ‘t believe I need this lame ugly pill to balance my mood or in his words to keep me from relapsing it’s been 7 months since I quit taking them & no problems so should I tell my doctor that since they are not really psycologists could I ask for a psyc evaluation so he can stop giving me this garbage?

Getting Off My Meds?

A.

If I understand correctly, you don’t want to take medication and you want to know if you should ask for a psych evaluation. Yes, you have the right to ask for a psych evaluation or a second opinion.

If you haven’t already done so, inform your prescribing physician that you are no longer taking your medicine. Having all the facts helps him to make informed decisions about your treatment. The more he knows about your case, the better he can help you.

He wanted you to take medication to prevent a relapse. Relapse is a legitimate concern. Apparently, you experienced a psychotic episode triggered by stress. Antipsychotic medication can prevent future psychotic episodes.

Some people have one psychotic episode and never have another. Others go on to have multiple psychotic episodes. Repeated psychotic episodes are associated with disorders such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. You want to do everything in your power to avoid having another psychotic episode. You might want to reconsider your stance on antipsychotic medication. Even very low doses can protect against future psychotic episodes.

If you are unwilling to take medication, then try counseling. Stress has the potential to trigger a psychotic episode. Without treatment of any kind, your risk for relapse increases significantly. Having effective problem-solving and stress-reducing strategies is imperative for your psychological health. Counseling can help you to develop these important skills. Please take care.

Getting Off My Meds?