Home » Disorders » Bipolar Disorder » If Anger Is Justified, Can It Still Be Bipolar?

If Anger Is Justified, Can It Still Be Bipolar?

From the U.S.: Hi, read a lot about becoming angry for no reason when reading about bipolar. If the anger is justifiable, can it still be bipolar involved? I do have a lot of trouble holding my anger back, but the things I’m at are real unfair things, but I just have the problem of letting in get out of control and blow up.

A.

The simple answer to your question is “no”, not generally. There are lots of justifiable reasons to feel angry. The challenge for all of us is learning how to handle those feelings with self-control and maturity.

Being angry doesn’t mean someone is bipolar but being bipolar doesn’t mean that a person’s anger isn’t justified. I suggest you look up the DSM-5 definition of bipolar disorder and see if you think you fit the criteria. If so, consider seeing a mental health counselor to settle your question.