Home » Afraid of Driving after Minor Accident

Afraid of Driving after Minor Accident

So I decided to learn to drive a few weeks ago and convinced our personal driver to teach me. He’s a good guy and I drove my parents car when they weren’t with me. So I drove 4 or 5 times and I got overconfident of my abilities, or at least that’s what I blame. Needless to say, I hit a car and lots of drama occurred. Worst thing is so many people got affected because of my mess. My driver wanted to take the blame, a friend was with me that day and his dad payed for the other cars damage expenses. I owe him around 50 bucks but that’s not important. My parents didn’t find out otherwise they’d kill me. From then on, I’m afraid to drive again. I keep trying to give myself confidence but nothing works. Even my driver tries to hook me up to drive again but I keep giving him excuses as well. I know I need to learn this but I keep getting scared. (age 17, from Bangladesh)

Afraid of Driving after Minor Accident

A.

It is normal to be scared after having an accident, and it is normal to be hesitant to do something again after it didn’t go as planned. I think in this case, the fact that you were doing this in secret and other people were affected may be making it worse. With time your anxiety will fade and you will have the courage to drive again. However, I would suggest that you take an open and honest approach from here forward.

Let your parents know that you are interested in learning to drive. Are you able to take formal lessons? Driving a vehicle is a big responsibility and can obviously be dangerous. Learning in the correct way and gaining experience will help you become more confident. We all make mistakes, and they can become wonderful learning experiences if handled well.

Afraid of Driving after Minor Accident