Home » Ask the Therapist » Concerned about Length of Therapy

Concerned about Length of Therapy

I have a long history of trauma and deal with symptoms of CPTSD on a near daily basis. I am on a low dose of Zoloft and see a therapist once a week. Progress has been very slow but I do see a steady improvement in my ability to self-regulate and a shift in some of my very fundamental patterns of thinking.

I have been seeing the same therapist for 15 months now. It is a wonderfully supportive and productive relationship. I know that we are not done, there is still more ground to cover, but I am beginning to be concerned by the length of time I’ve been in therapy. Or more to the point, I am concerned that I am expecting that I will always need some kind of therapeutic support in order to manage my symptoms.

Is this realistic? I know things change: I could move, my schedule could change, I could lose my insurance, he could cut hours… but barring any of those outside circumstances is it realistic to expect I am building a therapeutic relationship that could span years?

Concerned about Length of Therapy

A.

I’m not concerned by the length of time you have been in therapy. Your diagnosis suggests the need for some time in treatment. I do think you should express your concerns to your therapist and come to an understanding about what to expect.

You may, in fact, be building a relationship that will span years. But more important, you are building a knowledge base about the therapeutic process.

You are correct. There are many things that can result in needing a different therapist. That’s okay. There are many, many qualified therapists in the world. Sometimes it is useful to learn that there are many people who can offer needed help; that we aren’t dependent on one special therapist to continue our work.

Should a transfer become necessary (due to a move or another change in circumstances), your therapist will most likely help you identify a likely therapist who can continue your work. If that isn’t possible, you will interview potential new therapists on your own, with a more sophisticated understanding of what you need than when you first started.

Concerned about Length of Therapy