Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » My Mother Is Talking to Herself

My Mother Is Talking to Herself

My mother is 50, I am 18. I cant recall how long this has been going on, less than a year, however. When Im in my room I usually constantly hear my mother talking to herself and laughing hysterically to herself. Ive went in before and asked what shes laughing about and she will simply respond with “Oh, nothing.” or “Just thinking about something.” I havent asked her about who shes talking to or what shes talking about. She sometimes changes the voices as well, she does a very scratchy, forced voice that I cant exactly describe, the kind that would make your throat hurt kinda. She also does her normal voice. The laughs may go consistently from 5-10 minutes on occasion. At first when I first heard it I thought maybe she is just thinking of something funny, but its everyday now. all day. she doesnt do this stuff when she knows Im in the room. Only when Im in my bedroom, and when we spend time together like out driving she doesnt do anything like it. or when Im in the room with her. only when shes led to assume Im out of the room. Ive also caught her talking to the couch as if theres an invisible person there while Im in the kitchen. Please help.

My Mother Is Talking to Herself

A.

It must be difficult for you to see this strange behavior with your mom. It wasn’t clear from your letter if there are others in the home with you. If there is, ask them about this and talk to them about talking to your mom.

If there aren’t others that live with you, you may want to talk to your mom alone, when she isn’t talking to herself. Let her know that it is uncomfortable for you when you hear her doing this. Explain that it is something that you haven’t seen her do until the past year and that it concerns you. The goal of the conversation is to begin an honest dialogue about what is going on for your mom. The dialogue will give you a chance to determine if her talking to herself is odd but harmless — or if it is an indication that she has some other issues going on.

My Mother Is Talking to Herself