Home » Help with Anxiety

Help with Anxiety

From the U.S.: So I am diagnosed with Asperger’s and I have always had anxiety issues. I can only think of a couple times when I’ve genuinely been relaxed. In college I used that anxiety as a motivator. It was a very useful tool to motivate myself to go above and beyond in my classwork and my social life since my brain constantly told me I was worthless if I didn’t.

Since graduating I have had a hard time finding a job and now that same anxiety is more paralyzing than motivating. Fear of failure has impacted all of my efforts recently and I was wondering if this was the time to do something about my anxiety. I’m also concerned it will impact my drive to succeed if I do find some kind of work. What do you think?

Help with Anxiety

A.

I think you are correct. The anxiety that is often part of Aspergers is something you can learn to manage. Please consider finding a therapist who specializes in adults who are on the autism spectrum. I think it will be a great relief to you to hear that your feelings and experiences are typical. Even more important, you will learn some new skills for managing your anxiety and your motivation.

You might also find it helpful to read “Be Different” by John Elder Robison. Like you, the author is a very intelligent adult with Aspergers. He is also a very successful businessman. He shares his story about what he has learned about managing Aspergers in order to help people like you.

Help with Anxiety