Home » Visits for Granddaughter

Visits for Granddaughter

My husband and I are the guardians for our granddaughter. Her mom is on the street, addicted to heroin. We have tried on and off to have visitation, but our granddaughter has behavioral problems after these visits, and we are afraid our daughter will OD in our bathroom. This morning, my granddaughter woke up crying, saying she’s afraid she’ll never see her mom again. She’s only 4, do we let her visit again? Or will it hurt my granddaughter in the long run? Please help.

Visits for Granddaughter

A.

First, let me say how much I admire you stepping in with your granddaughter. I appreciate the level of caring that you bring to a difficult situation. Part of this may be a legal issue — so I will encourage you to get a legal opinion as well. Often legal and psychological opinions conflict. That being said, I am assuming the reason you are the guardians is because your daughter is incapable of adequately performing her duties as a mom. If you daughter is such a high risk, then inviting her into the home for visit that causes your daughter so much distress isn’t advisable from a psychological perspective.

I’d advocate for using FaceTime or Skype where you can monitor the interaction. This will mean that your daughter will have to put some effort into making the call. Since you are right there you will be able to monitor it. This will allow for some contact, monitored interaction — without you worrying that your daughter will OD.

Visits for Granddaughter