Home » Very Mild Version of Depersonalization/Derealization?

Very Mild Version of Depersonalization/Derealization?

Ever since I was 6 (or around that age) I’ve been experiencing these random short episodes (lasting no more than a minute) where I feel like my body is there but my mind isn’t quite there, and like I’m detached from reality, slightly like I’m in a dream, so my perception of reality changes – much like in derealization, of what I read. However, these episodes never once affected my daily life; they don’t bother me but happen very often, every single day. Could this be a very mild form or dp/dr?  Thank you in advance! (age 17, from Portugal)

A.

Yes, what you are describing could be a mild form of depersonalization or derealization, but it could also be several other things. We all dissociate to a certain extent. Our mind takes breaks from time to time. We can’t be 100 percent focused all the time, so we “space out” or go into a mini trance like state. This is fairly normal but some people do it more than others, just like some people daydream more than others. However, if it does happen frequently and/or it begins to interfere in your functioning, I’d suggest you speak to your doctor about it because there are some forms of seizures that can be similar to what you are describing. Better to be safe than sorry and let your parents and doctor know what’s going on.