Home » Ask the Therapist » I Need Advice on How to Help My Sister with an Underdeveloped Brain

I Need Advice on How to Help My Sister with an Underdeveloped Brain

I’m 17 years old and I’m graduating from high school this year, my sister who is 19 years old is also graduating from high school around the same time. She was born with an under developed brain meaning she finds it a lot harder to do things others can easily do by themselves, and even though she is 19, her brain works similar to an average 14-15 year old. She has no friends and barely has any social skills, I tried telling my dad to take her to a therapist because as much as I try to help her, i can never truly understand what she feels, though he never cared enough to help. Now that she is graduating, she is also looking forward to attending college, unfortunately my dad feels that there is no reason for her to do that. I disagree with my dad entirely, but I don’t know what to do! I want her to be in a place where she doesn’t feel like an outcast all the time and that could teach her to take care of herself and be more confident. What should I be looking for?

A.

I admire and respect your desire to help your sister. Perhaps the best thing is to look for community services where you live that may be able to help. If you sister has a developmental delay or disability there are many organizations that can help. I’ve linked in a major agency in your state here. I’m sure they’ll be able to point you in the right direction.

But it is your loving concern for your sister that will always be the most important help in her life.