Home » Disorders » Schizophrenia » Scared & Schizophrenic 2 Years Off Medication

Scared & Schizophrenic 2 Years Off Medication

I am a 27 year old unmedicated physical and sexual abuse victim with ADHD Anxiety Bipolar Depression Schizophrenia, OCD social paranoia and just recently left my husband of 5 1/2 years and began another relationship immediately. I’m afraid to get on my medication because ive been off them for so long i dont know who ill be, what should i do? my bf tells me i dont need my medication that im just fine how i am and im not “crazy” should i listen or play it safe becasue i have violent tendencies along with suicidal suicidal ideation,attmpts,thoughts and habitiual tendencies and my auditory hallucinations are getting a lttle terrifying.

A.

Your boyfriend is not a mental health professional. That means he does not have the proper training to know when you should or should not be on medicine.

You’ve been through a lot and are probably feeling quite stressed. You have concerning symptoms. The idea of medication shouldn’t frighten you. Medication is designed to decrease the very symptoms that are causing you so much distress. It can significantly improve your life.

Generally speaking, untreated severe mental health symptoms get worse without treatment. You are especially vulnerable because of the many recent changes in your life. To prevent the risk of being hospitalized or involved in a situation where you might harm yourself or someone else, then it is imperative that you seek help.

Is there a psychiatrist with whom you’ve worked and liked? If so, make an appointment immediately. If not, contact the local community mental health center, your insurance company, or your primary care physician and ask for a referral. The sooner you begin treatment, the sooner your symptoms will subside and you can resume your life without the intrusion of “terrifying” mental health symptoms. Do whatever is necessary to prevent your symptoms from worsening. Seek help immediately. Contact emergency services if necessary. Please take care.