Home » Why Do I Have Cravings to Poison My Body?

Why Do I Have Cravings to Poison My Body?

From Sweden: So, I suffer from mild depression and severe social anxiety, and this past year I’ve been craving caffeine, cigarettes and alcohol even though I have never tried the two last ones and I always hated caffeine. I cut sugar from my diet almost entirely. I cannot stomach sugary things and instead I crave anything that’d somehow poison my body. The cravings are worse and worse and I told my therapist about this so I’ll be taking medication to stop the cravings, but I wonder why does this happen? It’s not like I’ve been drinking or smoking or even drinking that much coffee before so how come I can physically crave them? Does it have something to do with taking the psychological pain away? If yes then why am I able to crave it physically.

A.

Thank you for reaching out with your question, but I do not think this is about you wanting to poison yourself. There are two things I would encourage you to get more information on. The first is about your depression. You live in a country where the incidence of seasonal affect disorder (SAD) is high because of the variations in sunlight. From research on other areas in the world also affect by this we know that less sunlight often results in vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D (at least partially) comes from exposure to the sun, and lower levels of vitamin D are associated with depression. The use of caffeine, alcohol and nicotine are very common coping reactions for SAD and other forms of depression. I’d recommend being tested for vitamin D deficiency and SAD. If this is underneath your depression a vitamin D supplement or light therapy may be helpful. Here is an article I’ve written on this topic with more information.