Home » Disorders » Depression » Too Extreme and Frequent Mood Swings

Too Extreme and Frequent Mood Swings

From India: Sometimes I feel so energetic, fresh, free and confident, I could say anything to anyone without hesitation. These are the times when I wonder why I ever get sad. But when I do get down, it’s intolerable, I feel desperate, restless, nauseated, I feel my stomach churning, a gut wrench, I cannot sleep, I keep turning, I get suicidal thoughts such that I often plan my suicide, I wish to cry and just keep sleeping. Right now, I’m feeling such a low, but a mere 3 hours ago, I was something else, I was dancing. I wouldn’t wish to self diagnose and I believe that Bipolar doesn’t have such quick and frequent swings.

Too Extreme and Frequent Mood Swings

A.

Thank you for writing. You’re correct. It’s not a good idea to diagnose yourself. And I can’t do it on the basis of a letter. Do see a mental health counselor for a thorough evaluation. You deserve to know what you are dealing with. Although Bipolar is a possibility, there may be medical or other psychological reasons for your feelings and behaviors.

Just for your information, though: Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder is a subcategory of Bipolar Disorder. Here’s a quote from the website of the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance: “Rapid cycling is defined as four or more manic, hypomanic, or depressive episodes in any 12-month period. With rapid cycling, mood swings can quickly go from low to high and back again, and occur over periods of a few days and sometimes even hours.”

If that does turn out to be the problem, there is treatment that can help. Do talk to the mental health counselor about your options.

Too Extreme and Frequent Mood Swings