Home » Parenting » My Parents Want Me to Break Up with Boyfriend Who Hit Me

My Parents Want Me to Break Up with Boyfriend Who Hit Me

From Sri Lanka: I faced an argument with my boyfriend where he hit me. My mom & In laws to be involved in the matter aftermath. Now my mom is angry over my boy friend for hitting me and the way he argued. And his parents angry over me for complaining. Both our parents are stubborn & tough. So they are now pushing us to stop the relationship. Even my boy friends is confused since our parents are not consenting. In our traditional country parents blessings are always values. What must I do?

I apologized mom – she’s refusing to forgive my boyfriend. I apologized my boyfriend – he forgave but still angry. My in laws to be – I’m afraid to talk to them.

What must I do?

A.

I don’t understand why you apologized to your boyfriend. He hit you! Yes, you may have argued with him. Couples sometimes argue. That’s normal while a couple learns how to manage differences of opinion. But no one made him get violent.

There is no excuse or reason for him to hurt you physically. He is responsible for that. Not you. You have a right to complain about mistreatment. Your parents are right to be concerned.

If you two want to be together, you have some hard work to do. The two of you need to find a way to manage disagreements with each other without fighting. Your boyfriend needs to learn how to manage anger without getting violent. That’s part of becoming a mature adult.

Please stay safe. I think you should take a step back from this relationship until these issues get settled.