Home » Ask the Therapist » Should I Be Concerned?

Should I Be Concerned?

Well I used to have a lot of anxiety, panic attacks, worries in the past but lately I have not been that much anxious. 2 months ago I had a full black out (not faint) everything didn’t seem real but it was really scary! Ever since I experienced it I have it all day BUT not that much. Sometimes is fewer and other is a little bit more. I know the world is real but it’s like it has no meaning to me. I feel like I’m not normal any more and thinking of it makes it even worse. I know it may be a derealization disorder but I’m afraid it may be something else. I want to go to a therapist but it needs money and I cannot provide them at the moment. Does it goes away with time?

Should I Be Concerned?

A.

You are assuming that your blackouts may be caused by a derealization disorder or psychological problems, but that might not be the case. Blackouts happen to people for various reasons, some of which could be medical. It’s important that you have a medical evaluation to rule out any physical causes.

Once medical problems are ruled out, then it is appropriate to consider psychological causes. This must be done with the assistance of a trained mental health professional. Ask your primary care physician for a referral to a mental health professional in your community.

You said that money is an issue for you, but you might be able to see a mental health professional for free or at a low cost. Check with your health insurance provider to determine how much co-pays would be. If you don’t have health insurance, make an appointment with your local community mental health center. If your income falls under a certain level, therapy sessions might be free.

Don’t ignore this problem or hope it will simply go away on its own. It is concerning and you should find a way to get help. Please take care.

Should I Be Concerned?