Home » Panic and Self Harm When Hearing a Lot of Noise

Panic and Self Harm When Hearing a Lot of Noise

Sometimes when I hear any loud noises, or even any noise, if it keeps going for any length of time, at times, I just freak out and self harm and scream and yell at myself. I just want to run and hide somewhere perfectly, completely quiet. It’s only sometimes that I feel this way, and it seems to be when a lot of other things are already bothering me. I don’t know why or how to stop? (age 20, from US)

A.

I’m not sure what is going on for you, but the things that come to mind suggest that you could have experienced some form of trauma (even if you don’t remember) and the loud noises are a trigger for you, or you could have a mental health condition that makes you very sensitive to noise, such as Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder or Autism Spectrum Disorder.

In either case, because of the severity of your reaction I think you should have a psychological evaluation. A therapist can help you explore why you do react the way you do, but also help you develop better coping skills so you don’t harm yourself or feel so scared and out of control.