Home » Parenting » Not a Source of Happiness to My Parents

Not a Source of Happiness to My Parents

I have an elder sister. She is a doctor and because of this she is the apple of my parents’ eyes. I opted to go in an engineering university and currently in my second semester. I don’t know what I can do to make my parents proud of me. I am a good student. And I was the topper of my class because it was the only way to make my parents look at me and be happy with me. Otherwise my parents had/have nothing to do with me. And my mom is all the time like “you do nothing in the home and u have no participation and all you do is be on your laptop”. And she is always giving me the example of my great sister and I am so sick of it. I have no idea how to make them like me. How to make them think that I am not just taking up space in their home. I don’t trust anyone because I can’t even trust my parents. I am afraid of them because they are yelling at us and at each other all the time. Please help me out. I am stuck in purgatory here.

Not a Source of Happiness to My Parents

A.

I deeply appreciate your question — and I think it is time to move on from this need. It is keeping you in orbit around your parents, and this is not something that will be undone through your accomplishments. It is time for you to look for the places you do get validated — not spend your energy on what hasn’t worked.

I highly recommend you use the counseling center at your university to help letting go of the need to get their approval. The university will have services that can help you move forward.

Not a Source of Happiness to My Parents