Home » I Can’t Stop Lying

I Can’t Stop Lying

From a teen in Egypt: I have a problem with lying, I have read about it online and knew it was a condition called Pathological lying… I lie about nearly every aspect of my life to to almost everyone I know and I want to stop but I just can’t and I really need some help in that if you please.

I Can’t Stop Lying

A.

I’m glad you recognize that lying is a problem. It is likely that it is hurting you in every aspect of your life. Relationships of all kinds are built on trust. Once people (lovers, employers, friends, family) find out you’ve lied to them, they are likely to distance themselves from you.

I can’t tell why you are lying so much. I can only guess that you don’t think that you or the life you are living is enough to please and interest other people. It might be that you lie because you like the stories you make up better than the real choices you have made.

If that is the case, the root of the problem is a negative self-esteem. Instead of scolding yourself for lying, it would be more useful to focus on building a positive sense of self. If you have access to a mental health professional, do consider making an appointment to get some coaching and support.

I Can’t Stop Lying