Home » Ask the Therapist » Need Advice about Apology

Need Advice about Apology

To Whom It May Concern: I am writing to request advice regarding an issue I have with my current GP. I have a regular GP and have been generally dissatisfied with responses to my questions and information given in regards to my injury/ sickness. However overall my GP has been fairly good and I think the unsatisfactory answers may be due to my doctor being sick of seeing me.

Today I visited my regular GP and got into an argument and said that I want to change doctors. I think I offended or annoyed my GP but am not sure.

Should I arrange to see my regular GP again and apologize/try to explain things, or not?
If you think an apology/explanation would be suitable how should I go about doing that?
I have looked online and seen general formulas for apologies, however I don’t really have much in the way of people skills/ communication skills/ social skills and always tend to end up making things worse when I’m trying to make them better.
Any advice would be appreciated

Need Advice about Apology

A.

Have you considered writing a letter? A letter would allow you be more contemplative about what you want to say. Alternatively, you could write a letter as a way to think through what you want to say and then visit him in person to explain and to apologize.

When it comes to apologies, sincerity is key. It is the best “general formula” you can follow. Sincerity is defined as “the quality or condition of being genuine, honest and free from duplicity or hypocrisy.” The opposite of sincerity is insincerity. It is defined as being “phony or dishonest, not showing one’s true feelings.”

Whether in person or in a letter, the more sincere you can be with your apology and explanation, the better. You can’t go wrong with the truth. You mention, in your writing, that you don’t have much in the way of people skills/communication skills/social skills, etc. These are all things that you can learn and counseling is the very best place to learn those things. Talking to a counselor or therapist before talking to your GP, would be very helpful. Please take care.

Need Advice about Apology