Home » Shocking Language & Positive Self-Talk

Shocking Language & Positive Self-Talk

I’ve had trouble with dysthymia most of my life, and one of the ways it’s manifested is in my brain popping out with shocker statements in an attempt to get a reaction. The most popular statement tends to be “You should kill yourself.” I discussed this with my therapist and she suggested trying to use positive shocker statements instead. What would that even look like? I’ve been low for so long I can’t even imagine.

Shocking Language & Positive Self-Talk

A.

That is a perfect question for your therapist. When she gave you that advice, she probably had statements in mind as examples.

You could say positive things to yourself such as “I am a good person,” “I deserve to have a good life,” “I deserve to be happy,” “I love myself, I love life” and “happiness surrounds me.” Try phrases that are the opposite of the shocking, negative statements that you are manifesting.

It might also help you to read about good things in the world. One of my favorite websites is the Random Acts of Kindness website. Each act of kindness brings goodness into the world. It might even inspire you to engage in your own acts of kindness. There’s plenty of research to suggest that helping people significantly improves our own psychological health. It couldn’t hurt to try. Please take care.

Shocking Language & Positive Self-Talk