Home » Ask the Therapist » My Girlfriend Is Bottled Up

My Girlfriend Is Bottled Up

From England: My girlfriend never wants to talk about what bothers her, instead she acts like she doesn’t care, and goes into denial. She is afraid of relationships and says to me “what is the point, if sooner or later one of us would die.” She doesn’t open up, what can I do to make her open up?

My Girlfriend Is Bottled Up

A.

Thanks for your question. The first thing is to ask yourself an important question: Why do you want to be with a woman that is afraid of relationships? Maybe her view is something to acknowledge and accept, rather than change. It is difficult to be in a relationship where the primary effort is to try and change your partner.

That being said, I think if you want to go forward the initial work is setting up an appointment with a couples therapist. He or she could make a more direct assessment of the dynamic between the two of you — and make recommendations from there.

My Girlfriend Is Bottled Up