Home » I Need Advice on What to Do

I Need Advice on What to Do

I have been feeling a bit out of the loop lately. I constantly feel under a lot of pressure, and I don’t know how to cope properly. I ashamed to say that I have used “improper” ways of coping. I “coped” by relapsing (cutting), which I felt uncomfortable after a day or two because I hadn’t cut in a while. I “coped” by ignoring important and difficult tasks needed to be done and right after not doing it, I felt even more stressed but didn’t make any move to do anything about it.

I am quick to anger and tend to cry during it. It makes me feel very frustrated which leads to even more crying.

I have never gotten professional help. My parents are very close-minded. Maybe this is nothing and there’s nothing wrong with me, maybe it’s all psychosomatic. But it just frustrates me so much because it’s gotten to a point wherein it messes with my personal life. (From Qatar)

I Need Advice on What to Do

A.

Thank you for reaching out to us at PsychCentral. The fact that you are cutting, crying, feeling bad, and believe this is affecting your personal life means that it is time to do something. Writing us is a good first step. Now it is time to get some professional help. Honor the discomfort you are feeling and find a way to get your parents involved. At 14 the easiest way may simply be to tell them that you are not feeling well and would like to go to see a physician. Then tell the physician what you have been doing and how you have been feeling. He or she will be able to help more specifically.

It takes courage to cope with pressure, and a professional can help you learn the best ways to do this.

I Need Advice on What to Do