Home » Ask the Therapist » I Get Angry Too Easily

I Get Angry Too Easily

From a 15 year old girl in the UK: I always get really angry over the slightest of things and I have massive arguments with my parents but I cant stop myself and just leave it. I hate myself for it but I can’t control my anger. I have a really low self esteem and don’t value myself at all.

there was a time a few months ago when I stopped eating through the day while I was at school then just had my tea when I came home. This made me moody and start to hate myself. I was arguing with my parents everyday and they would always end up calling me fat.

In the end I spoke to a teacher at school and had a meeting with her and child protection. Then my parents got called in for a meeting and the arguing stopped. I stopped cutting and I hated myself less, but now we have started arguing just like we did before and I’m sick of it. I cry all the time and spend all my time at home sat in my room. I’m just sick of everything.

I Get Angry Too Easily

A.

I think you need to do two things: First, please make an appointment with your doctor for a complete medical check up. I always recommend this when someone your age is so moody. There are a number of physical changes going on at your age that can cause what feel like out of control mood swings. Let’s make sure you are medically fine before deciding that “it’s all in your head.”

Secondly: I strongly urge you and your parents to see a family therapist. Yes, you get angry and out of control. But your parents don’t seem to know how to help you or how to stay out of fights with you. The three of you need some new tools to learn how to deal with each other’s anger and how to manage conflicts that come up. You will be living at home for a number of years yet. It seems to me that it would be worth a few months of coaching to learn ways to make those years more peaceful and happy.

I Get Angry Too Easily