Home » Disorders » Bipolar Disorder » Can I Control Bipolar Symptoms by Building Confidence?

Can I Control Bipolar Symptoms by Building Confidence?

Hi, it’s been stated that bipolar can be caused by a chemical imbalance, here’s something I read:

The chemicals responsible for controlling the brain’s functions are called neurotransmitters and include noradrenaline, serotonin and dopamine.

My question is:

Can working towards building self-confidence or a higher self-esteem profile help stabilize your bipolar episodes. In other words is there a link between those who build their self-confidence and their ability to control bipolar.

I have been reading a lot of books and done workshops on confidence, and I feel this has helped me cope with the episodes and cycles. Just want to know if this actually does help and has been proven to help. Thanks.

A.

I’m currently not aware of any explicit theories that suggest confidence building decreases symptoms of bipolar disorder. If by confidence building you mean the development of coping skills and expertise concerning the management of disorder symptoms, then it could be an effective treatment strategy. You’re living proof of its effectiveness.

It is always wise to consult a mental health professional (in-person) with regard to treatment (and you should) but if your strategies are helping, then there’s no reason to stop. If you find that your method no longer works or it’s having a negative impact on your life, then try something different. I congratulate you on your efforts and wish you continued success. Please take care.