Home » Ask the Therapist » I’m Hearing Voices

I’m Hearing Voices

From the Netherlands: I am a healthy 38 year old male. I pray, meditate and concentrate a lot. I do all kinds of nice and interesting things, so live my life reasonably mentally comfortable.

Yet, it seems like I’m hearing these voices in my head from royals and other politicians.

It’s really annoying to have people constantly telling me what to do like if I would be living with my mother again. The way they are talking is condensending and their content is to dumb to listen to.

Normally I wouldn’t even mind. For example if I would hear my boss from 9-5, it could be helpful even. I just would consider it to be some thing of a guilty conscience speaking to me or so.

But these voices are constantly saying really dumb things, that are also against the rule of law, f.e. ‘go see a prostitute or you won’t get a girlfriend or a job’.

Now I don’t want to make a big deal out of it, but I thought it could be better to ask you this question what I am supposed to do with this.

Yours sincerely,

I’m Hearing Voices

A.

Please do make a big deal out of it. This is serious. There are both medical and mental illnesses that can create this type of experience. The problem with waiting to seek help is that the condition could get worse.

Please first see your physician and share your letter. The problem may be as simple as a vitamin deficiency.

If your doctor determines that you are physically healthy, then see a mental health counselor or psychiatrist for an evaluation.

Currently you seem to be able to resist the demands of the “voices” but, without treatment, they may become more difficult to resist. This could have terrible consequences, especially if the demands are against the law.

I’m very glad you wrote. I appreciate that you don’t want to over-react but I do think it’s time for you to take the steps necessary to understand your situation and to explore treatment options.

I’m Hearing Voices