Home » Anxiety » Is My Daughter Using Her GAD to Manipulate Us?

Is My Daughter Using Her GAD to Manipulate Us?

My daughter has been diagnosed with GAD. Sometimes I struggle with believing what is going on with her as she can be very manipulative. She claims to have anxiety and panic attacks, yet I can see online she brags about a tattoo she has secretly gotten and pretending to drink at family functions (when I know she has not). She also refuses to do any chores around the house, yet expects us to buy her things and go get her fast food. Is this just typical normal teen drama? I sometimes feel she is exaggerating her symptoms to get her way, and she is very intelligent. If yes, how do I manage this while still making sure we manage her GAD?

A.

The key is to set boundaries and help her cope with the difficulty this will cause her. Setting limits — saying no — while facilitating her finding ways to deal with the frustration will help her develop resilience. These skills, rather than avoidance of anxiety, tend to be healthier ways to manage in the long run. In this way you don’t have to tip-toe around her anxiety, while doing the thing that will help her cope downstream.