Home » Ask the Therapist » Confidentiality with a Therapist

Confidentiality with a Therapist

Hi. I’ve been thinking about going to my school counselor after a friend recommended I go. I had asked my mum about a year ago if I could see a therapist but she finds it hard to believe anything is wrong with me. I am worried that if I talk to the counselor she might tell my teachers or parents. Since I’m in a boarding school, she might have to tell my teacher. I self-harm and am worried she might have to tell. My parents also take inappropriate substances. Even though they do this they are responsible. I’m worried because of the fact my parents do illegal things she may be forced to tell a child protection officer. My parents have never hurt me. I would never want anyone to take my parent away from me. So my question would be, since I am 15 years old how much confidentiality would I actually have? Thank you. (From England)

Confidentiality with a Therapist

A.

Negotiate with your counselor before you begin. Explain your concerns, and he or she can tell you what the boundaries are. Take your time with this. Write down all you are concerned about and set up an appointment to talk about the degree to which there is privacy. You can ask hypothetical questions rather than pose specific ones. Only in this way can you know what the boundaries are freedoms are for you in therapy.

Confidentiality with a Therapist