Home » Ask the Therapist » Question about Medication

Question about Medication

From the U.S.: I was diagnosed with OCD. Around October 19th 2015, during a stay at a psych ward they started me on a new pill regimen of 2 drugs I had already been taking, but divied up differently plus the addition of a new drug, so, the day to day was Klonopin and Luvox at 8:29 am and Klonopin, Luvox and Anafranil (the new drug) at 9:40 at night. I’ve been keeping this up until today November 12, 2015 that’s bout 24 days, so 3 weeks 3 days and I’ve been doing the same times for the most part (definitely morning then night – but does it make a huge difference if I’m late an hour or so on a random day? I think they gave them to me at different times for some of the days in the hospital)

Anyway – I just wanted all that background information out of the way first before I ask my main question (and this question is because I want to understand how the drugs are working if they are) Given the drugs and amount of time, how exactly in best layman’s terms possible does that combination of drugs work together in the brain towards the goal of alleviating my ocd and is that amount of time sufficient for the drugs to alleviate the ocd?

If I can get something in writing to read over when I’m imagining that I may be feeling calmer around once ocd provoking situations and it can cause me to stress on not understanding why this change seems to occurring. It’s my brain and I’d feel better understanding the mechanics at play when these 3 drugs are taken at those times for that amount of time. So, If I feel calmer, I can understand why.

I’m just weird about needing to understand things. If you’re able to answer correctly please let me know how (are you a psychiatrist, found info from reliable source with source name) so I know the information’s reliable.

Question about Medication

A.

You are not weird for wanting to understand things. It is your brain we’re talking about.

You are a central member of your treatment team. You need to have sufficient information to make informed decisions about medications. The doctors need you to be able to accurately report effectiveness and possible side effects. So please don’t back off looking for answers to your questions.

The members of the Ask the Therapist team are psychologists and social workers, not medical doctors. You need to be taking your questions to a psychiatrist (MD) or a pharmacist.

I urge you to have a frank discussion with your prescriber about your concerns. It’s absolutely appropriate for you to request literature to help you understand what a medication is supposed to do. It’s very important to ask about drug to drug interactions as well as drug to food interactions.

If you are at all inclined to change the dosage or timing of your medications on your own, please don’t. Work with your treating physicians.

Question about Medication