Home » Will Getting Married Help with Transgender Identity

Will Getting Married Help with Transgender Identity

From Turkey: First, I want to thank you for providing this service for us suffering people. I have got transgender thoughts since early childhood and I have always dreamed of being female. Day by day I am getting worse and being male is no more tolerable. I have also got bipolar disorder since I am 25. I am afraid of getting married because of my transgender identity. Will these trans identity ease or completely disappear if I marry a really loving woman? Or will I feel better for a short time and then start suffering again? I don’t want to get into a relationship doomed to a painful end. Have a nice day!

A.

Marrying will not settle your sexual identity. That is your personal issue that you need to resolve personally. I hope you will find a therapist who is transgender-knowledgeable to help you come to terms with who you are and how to live in a world that isn’t always kind.

There are people (both women and men) who will love you regardless of your gender identity. You will only know if this is the case by being fully honest with whoever you love enough to want to marry. If she or he can’t be supportive of who you are, it would be unwise to commit to a life together. Open and honest communication is the foundation of a trusting and loving marriage. Being honest from the start prevents a lot of heart-ache.