Home » Ask the Therapist » Is this Stockholm Syndrome?

Is this Stockholm Syndrome?

From New Zealand: Hi, I’m just after some pointers of where to start researching and maybe some advice on both Stockholm syndrome and parental alienation.

I have been separated from my daughter’s (9) father for 7 years. She has had regular contact with her dad until the last few months. She has been with me full time due to a domestic assault happening in his house (this is the 6th assault).

My daughter has regularly been wetting during the day up to 5 times, the last two months she has had 2 accidents. She seems to have a real fixation and protectiveness over her father.

She has made excuses for why he hurts woman, and that its normal for adults to fight……she has said a lot that is quite concerning.

Since the separation she has been getting more and more distant from me regardless of my attempts. I’m really concerned that something else is going on and was hoping I could get some help as where to start reading. The Internet and search engines can be overwhelming.
I want to understand what is going on in the precious little mind better so I can help her, Help her change her views and realize that abuse is not ok.

Thank you for you time :)

Is this Stockholm Syndrome?

A.

I don’t have enough information to determine if your daughter is experiencing “Stockholm Syndrome.” You did give me enough information to cause me great concern.

Please don’t rely on the Internet to figure out how to help. While you are researching and trying to sort out what is said on Internet sites, valuable time is passing. Your daughter is in distress now. When a 9 year old starts having “accidents,” she is asking for help.

Please talk to your doctor, lawyer or a school counselor about your concerns. Ask for a referral to a therapist who specializes in children and trauma. Take your daughter for an evaluation. The therapist will be able to determine what is going on with your little girl and will offer you guidance for how to help her — and help yourself.

Is this Stockholm Syndrome?