Home » Disorders » Depression » I’m 12 and I Think I’m Depressed

I’m 12 and I Think I’m Depressed

I’m 12, and I think I’m depressed, maybe bipolar. Should I tell my parents, or should I see a doctor privately? I have done tests online, almost all have come high in category. I have read the symptoms and I have mostly all of them. I fell as if my parents will think I’m crazy and reading too much into things. I have had many social thoughts, and I have done self harm before. Please help I do not know what to do.

I’m 12 and I Think I’m Depressed

A.

You should tell your parents about this problem and ask them to take you to counseling. You are assuming that their reaction will be negative but you could be wrong. If you don’t tell them what’s wrong, they might never know and can’t help you.

Your self-harm is evidence of your suffering. You could benefit from counseling. Don’t allow fear to stop you from receiving help.

One way to let your parents know that you’re serious about wanting help is to write them a letter. Write about how you are feeling. You might try that approach if you feel more comfortable writing than talking.

You will feel a great deal of relief once these issues are out in the open and are no longer a secret. Do whatever is necessary to make your parents aware of this problem and ask for their assistance in seeking help. You will be glad that you did. Please take care.

I’m 12 and I Think I’m Depressed