Home » Ask the Therapist » Elderly Relative in Long-Term Therapy

Elderly Relative in Long-Term Therapy

I am a “sandwiched” middle aged mom, placed in the somewhat awkward position of helping my aging mother-in-law. She has been in therapy all of her adult life. She was abused as a child and has suffered from various psychiatric and emotional problems (depression, borderline personality, hoarding/compulsive acquiring).

My question is this: how do psychiatrists keep family members in the loop when someone with existing psychiatric problems starts to show signs of possible cognitive decline? What am I supposed to do? How can I learn what I need to know to support her, while not violating the trusting relationship she has with her psychotherapist? I often find that I can’t get a straight story from her about anything — she processes everything very emotionally, not rationally, so she often misses important facts and is prone to misunderstanding. This is especially worrisome when I can’t get a straight story from her about her medical issues.

Another question: is it odd for someone to be in therapy for 50+ years? She has a lot of problems, and nothing seems to improve, ever.

Elderly Relative in Long-Term Therapy

A.

The best way to approach this is to ask if you can come with her to her next appointment with the psychiatrist and explain that you want to be in a position to help going forward. Your mother in law will most likely have to sign a release for you to talk with the psychiatrist, but this will allow you to express your concerns directly.

As far as long-term therapy is concerned, individuals with many serious personality and abuse problems often need support and maintenance to maintain their current level. As an example, one of the most effective therapeutic avenues continues to be 12-step programs where membership can be life-long. Ongoing support from outside sources can often be the best way to maintain.

Elderly Relative in Long-Term Therapy