Home » My Daughter Acts 16 When She’s a Lot Older

My Daughter Acts 16 When She’s a Lot Older

I have a daughter (transgender) who has never acted her age. Her emotions and behavior all make me think of a 16 year old. She also struggles from severe depression and has been hospitalized for attempted suicide. During this time the doctors said they noticed the same thing but were not able to diagnose anything in the short time span that she was there. Is there any disorder that would explain her behavior and help us with getting her life on track?

A.

That is a difficult question to answer because I don’t have much information about your daughter and her condition. How old is your daughter?

You said that she thinks and acts like a 16 year old, but I am not sure what you mean by that expression. Perhaps it’s your way of saying that she acts like a teenager or is quite immature for her age.

Generally speaking, immaturity is not, in and of itself, a hallmark of any particular mental health disorder. You mentioned that she has severe depression and has been suicidal. Was depression her only diagnosis in the hospital? You might try contacting the doctors or social workers who treated her at the hospital. Even though her stay was short, they might be in the best position to answer your questions since they had an opportunity to observe and evaluate her.

If your daughter’s willing, the two of your should consult a therapist for an in-person evaluation. If not, try contacting a local therapist and asking these questions over the phone. If you provided the therapist with detailed information about your daughter’s condition, he or she might be able to better answer your question. Please take care.