Home » Ask the Therapist » Where Can I Find Help?

Where Can I Find Help?

Asked by on with 1 answer:

I was molested for several years as a child. I can’t stop lying about EVERYTHING. I abuse alcohol. I feel a constant need for attention and validation. Sometimes I’m suicidal. I have a never ending sexual appetite.

I cry hysterically when I’m alone. I feel distant from everyone around me. I have chronic violent nightmares. I see and hear things. I crave attention and validation. I have a laundry list of irrational fears and neuroses. I’m weird…I know I’m weird..I just want to be normal, I just want to fit in. I’m a college drop out… I cant afford therapy…I can barely afford my a.d.d. meds. Where can I go for help?

Where Can I Find Help?

Answered by on -


Below are some ideas for your consideration. I hope they’re helpful.

  1. Contact your local Community Mental Health Center (CMHC). Most communities have a CMHC. They often provide free or sliding-scale services to people who don’t have health insurance.
  2. Contact your local National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) group. They can be found in most communities. As advocates, they are very knowledgeable about the mental health system.
  3. Contact the health department. Inquire about support groups that might be located in your geographic area.
  4. Review the websites of local universities. Universities sometimes offer free or low-cost therapy services. University researchers might be recruiting participants for psychological studies. You might be eligible to receive free therapy services through one of those studies.
  5. You might try the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance. According to their website, there are over 700 free national peer support groups. Perhaps there is one in your area.
  6. If you have insurance, call the 1-800 phone number on the back of your insurance card. They can provide referrals to providers in your community.
  7. You might try calling local therapists and asking if they offer discounts if you don’t have insurance.
  8. Try your local congregation. A church might offer counseling services for free.
  9. Discuss these issues with your prescribing physician. He or she can refer you to counseling services.
  10. Finally, call your local crisis team or go to the hospital if you feel like you might harm yourself or someone else. During a crisis, you will be provided assistance no matter your income. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle

Where Can I Find Help?

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp:

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist and Assistant Professor of Social Work and Forensics with extensive experience in the field of mental health. She works in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. Kristina has worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling and university research centers.

APA Reference
Randle, K. (2018). Where Can I Find Help?. Psych Central. Retrieved on November 24, 2020, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018 (Originally: 19 Jan 2016)
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.