Home » Ask the Therapist » Stress Management » Uncontrollable Shaking and Tremors Under Stress

Uncontrollable Shaking and Tremors Under Stress

Hello! I am not very ardent in psychosis so I thought I’d consult. I have recently been doing this thing where if I remember an extremely stressful experience or I recall something I’ve been procrastinating (cleaning a room,homework,organizing emails etc.)/an embarrassing memory my mind feels as if it shakes and only focuses on those memories and I involuntarily (I don’t know how to describe it other as being possessed by the memories) lose control of my hands and they/my shoulders tremor (my fingers lose control and shake in the air in a motion like piano playing, and my shoulders jerk back and forth) and my whole body shakes until I push the certain memory away or focus on gripping a table/my phone and then it calms to only my fingers/hand twitching until I calm down enough to be level-headed. It’s psychically tolling and I am always mentally and psychically exhausted after calming. It is only a thing that has happened in the past year. It can also happen in random spikes, even when I am not breaking-down; as when I’m sitting with friends or out at the movies my hands will take control of themselves and tremor. I have diagnosed disassociative amnesia and schizotypal personality disorder but I can’t find these disorders being tied to these symptoms anywhere. I have only ever taken medicine/psychotherapy for depression symptoms when I was 11-12. Thanks for your time and information!

A.

Your symptoms are unusual. You might be describing panic attacks. It is also possible that you’re describing something else entirely.

Panic attacks can be triggered by a memory, as you have described, and they can also happen seemingly randomly. Alternatively, it’s unusual to experience your degree of physical trembling during panic attacks.

You should undergo an evaluation by a primary care physician. Ask your parents to assist you in this endeavor.

If you are already in contact with a mental health professional, report your symptoms. He or she can determine if your symptoms are psychological in origin. Having both a physical and mental health evaluation will give you the best chance of determining the cause of your symptoms. Please take care.