Home » Ask the Therapist » I Don’t Feel Any Emotions

I Don’t Feel Any Emotions

I don’t understand why I feel the way I do. I’m either frustrated and angry or mellow and just not there. I don’t feel alive anymore. I feel like I’m living to just feel there but at the same time I don’t feel sad. I feel nothing. Today I feel nothing. What could it be?

I Don’t Feel Any Emotions

A.

What is interesting is that you say you feel nothing, but your first sentence says you either “feel frustrated and angry or mellow.” This sounds like a range of feelings punctuated by feeling “just not there.” The key here is to realize that the non-feeling bothers you to experience. This is a healthy sign because the you who is noticing this difference is upset by it, which means it can help you understand what is going on because it is an observer.

This is a good time for you to begin individual therapy. A therapist is likely to be able to help you sort things out and give you tools to feel more emotionally connected again.

I Don’t Feel Any Emotions