Home » Disorders » ADHD » There Is a Strong Belief that I May Have ADD/ADHD

There Is a Strong Belief that I May Have ADD/ADHD

I am a teenager and my parents strongly believe that I may have ADD/ADHD. I took a self test and 14/15 questions were answered as “yes”. I notice I mostly have the inattentive and impulsive symptoms and hardly the hyperactivity. I often find it hard to focus, I daydream a lot and I never put effort into anything that doesn’t interest me, I’m very disorganized and very paranoid and distracted easily and I know I don’t do these things on purpose but I still do. Is there a chance that I may have it?

A.

You might have ADD/ADHD, but the best way to know is to have an evaluation with a mental health professional. Ask your parents to assist you in finding a specialist.

Your parents can ask your primary care physician for a referral. They might also try finding a specialist by utilizing the internet. Your parents can also locate a specialist by calling the 1-800 phone number on the back of their insurance card or by contacting the local health department.

ADD/ADHD is highly treatable. Medication is often helpful. With treatment and effort, you can gain control over your symptoms and live a high-quality life. Please take care.